Built in about 1845, the Long House Granary housed wheat and grains on the second floor and 4 low openings on the southwest side served as entrances to hog runs for the pigs. A wooden fence would have kept the livestock from going near the Dairy.
John and Eliza Ridgely, the third owners, had this building constructed out of stone to minimize the threat of fire and reduce periodic maintenance. Their rebuilding efforts at the Home Farm and Slave Quarters followed the pattern of the Ferme Ornee (ornamental farm) style they had seen on a grand tour of Europe taken in the 1840s. The addition of ornamental trim work, false chimneys, like the one on the roof of the Hampton Dairy, and stonework created a visually appealling scene from the vantage point of the mansion for the Ridgelys and their guests.
Although ease of maintenance and aesthetics were the reasons the Stone Slave Quarters were larger and better constructed than so many across the southern plantations, nothing could disguise the grim injustices of slavery from the people who experienced it.
Read about Jim Pratt to learn about a man who endured the injustices of slavery, sought his freedom and later worked as a paid laborer at Hampton.